People ask, 'I know I should be blogging, tweeting and facebooking, but what the heck do I say?' Our answer is, 'Do things with and for people.' It's one of those weirdly simple but complicated answers.
Firstly, involve your audience through questions, discussions, debate, competitions etc. Secondly, help your target audience through your content. Thirdly, remember that when you do things with and for people in the traditional face to face sense, you usually like and trust them. And that means that you will show your true personality. So, get to know people and show some personality!
Businesses take note. There are a growing number of conversations taking place online AND offline (you know, in the real world). This matters because some of these conversations will be related to your industry, sector, products, services and brand. Over the years I've heard many wonderful definitions of a brand but in essence your brand is simply your reputation. Today, your reputation is increasingly related to what comes up when people Google your brand name. And the only way to come up in Google at the right time is to create and share valuable content as well as collaborate and connect with people. As a result people with the shared needs, interests, values and beliefs will congregate around your brand, content, products and services. Naturally, these will be your target audience who will, in time, become customers and fans (so long as you deliver what you promise). You've got to join people, do something that captures people's imagination and makes them talk, listen and then provide the answers.
To help explain this further we have partnered with Turquoise Tiger and created the Stuck for Words workshop. This workshops helps people work out what to say on their social media channels. Working in small groups and with expert help from three experienced writers and communicators, workshop participants will:
- Create a profile of their business which can be used to develop social media messages and themes, helping them discover an authentic online ‘personality’ for their organisation
- Understand why it’s so important to think ‘outside the box’ when it comes to who you connect with and learn practical ways to truly engage with them
- Hear about the latest developments in the world of social media and find out how these could benefit their business
- Receive an easy to follow workbook giving practical solutions and ideas to take away into their organisation and shift their social media involvement to the next level
Details of the next Stuck for Words workshop
- Six places left for the 1st September 2011 workshop
- £120 for a full day workshop
- 10am to 4.30pm
- Peterborough, Cambridgeshire venue
- Lunch and refreshments included
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place
We have strong opinions on the needless jargon spouted by so many self-proclaimed social media gurus, not to mention exorbitant fees, and are determined to keep our workshops down to earth, affordable and worthwhile.